Wednesday, 10 May 2017

Few pointers to the translator

Certain translations that I came across triggered me to add some recommendations to the translator (someone who works on translations) who is yet to recognize or who undermines the value that they create by adding translations.

As I reckon that it is essential for a translator:
Click on the image to view it in an enlarged form.
  • to possess language skills (reading, writing, speaking)
  • to have knowledge on the tools used and 
  • to develop a sense of onus and service to the community.

In the above example:
The author, Girimane Shyamarao has written a book titled: 'I / Myself, Children and Education' but the translation roughly is made to as you see 'I have children and education'. Such slip can be avoided if we meticulously learn the language, the meaning/s of the words used and in a contextual manner.

Some recommendations are now part of the guidelines that I had earlier created when I was involved in translating some educational project for Khan Academy. Thanks to my mentor Julian Harty for encouraging me to volunteer to translate.

A few lessons learned are shared below in the form of a mindmap.

Click on the image to view it in an enlarged form.
Or refer the images below.

















If this write-up inspires you to take up translation work, then do create an account with Khan Academy here: https://www.khanacademy.org/ and volunteer to contribute.

2 comments:

Yogesh said...

Nice mindmap...motivates to take up translation...

Jyothi said...

Thanks Yogesh.